Nearly a Year After Being All Odds, Bulmer Wins Saskatchewan Men's Amateur Title
July 25, 2011
Story Courtesy of Dan Ukrainetz, Golf Saskatchewan
WARMAN, SK Ė On a course fittingly called The Legends and in the historic 100th playing edition of the tournament, Troy Bulmer of Saskatoon and the Riverside Country Club wrote a fairytale ending to long, arduous story after claiming the 2011 Saskatchewan Menís Amateur Championship.
Bulmer sunk a par putt on the 72nd hole to edge out a hard charging Brad Blair of Lanigan by one stroke and claim his first Menís Amateur title. The 20-year-old finished at 3-over-par 291 for the week.
Bulmer was seriously injured last August after the car he was travelling in was swept off the highway by tornadoes in North Dakota. The effects of the crash tragically killed his father, Rod, himself also a former Saskatchewan Menís Amateur champion.
The younger Bulmer spent most of the last year rehabbing from his injuries and returned to competitive golf in June.
With the win, Bulmer and his late father join Ron (2007, 1987, 1977) and David Stewart (2008) as the only father-son pair to win the tournament. Rod Bulmer won the tournament in 1984.
Blair shot an even-par 72 during the final round and will join Bulmer and David Stewart of Saskatoon and The Willows Golf & Country Club as member of Team Saskatchewan at the 2011 Canadian Menís Amateur Championship at the Niakwa Country Club and the Elmhurst Golf & Country Club in Winnipeg on August 9-14.
Menís Amateur Results - Top 10
1. Troy Bulmer, Saskatoon, SK, *74-71-69-77-291 +3
2. Brad Blair, Lanigan, SK, *71-78-71-72-292 +4
3. David Stewart, Saskatoon, SK, *72-83-68-71-294 +6
4. Brad Phelps, Saskatoon, SK, *74-80-75-67-296 +8
5. Scott Thompson, St.Walburg, SK, *71-77-72-79-299 +11
6. Andrew Zaba, Deer Valley, SK, *71-80-74-75-300 +12
7. Tyler Wright, Regina, SK, *71-78-76-76-301 +13
8. Danny Klughart, Prince Albert, SK, *74-80-76-72-302 +14
8. Jesse Gibson, Saskatoon, SK, *71-80-78-73-302 +14
8. Dallas Mengel, Saskatoon, SK, *76-81-72-73-302 +14
RELATED STORY - http://www.ccgazette.ca/wp/?p=294