Thursday, October 3, 2013

MISENHEIMER, N.C. – Despite a valiant comeback, the Pfeiffer University women’s soccer team (4-5, 2-2 Conference Carolinas) fell to visiting Lees-McRae (3-6, 2-1 CC) by a final score of 3-2 on a warm and sunny Thursday afternoon at NE Lefko Field. The Lady Falcons trailed 2-0 early in the second half, but tied the game with two goals in a 4:02 span. Sarah Mahar scored two goals for the Bobcats, including the game-winner with 1:44 left in regulation, to secure the victory.

Lees-McRae wasted little time gaining the upper hand, as Mahar netted her first goal of the game, and third of the season, just 30 seconds into play. The Bobcats leading scorer took a through ball from Meagan Thornton and deposited it in the bottom right corner of the goal for the early score. Lena Langille pushed the lead to two when she took a cross from Mary Beth Sullivan and beat Pfeiffer goalkeeper Kate Halligan. Despite the score, Pfeiffer dominated play, and held a 9-3 lead in shots and a 3-1 advantage in corner kicks.

Pfeiffer would continue the offensive pressure in the second half, and would break through on the scoreboard just over seven minutes into play. Hannah Kish fed Kayla Rodriguez for junior’s first score of the season. Just over four minutes later, freshman Brae Buster evened the game with her team-leading sixth score of the season, with the assist going to Katlyn Stevens. The score remained even for just under 27 minutes until Mahar scored the winner. Halligan dove to corral a free ball, but mishandled it and Mahar fired from near the goalline and 20 yards out. A Pfeiffer defender tried to knock the ball away, but was unable to redirect it.

The match ended with the Lady Falcons holding a 19-11lead in shots. Pfeiffer also took a 6-2 lead in corner kicks.

Halligan made three saves in the losing effort, while Kaitlyn Briggs made eight saves to improve to 3-3 on the season.

The Lady Falcons return to action on Saturday when they look to rebound against Conference Carolinas foe Mount Olive. Action gets underway at 2 p.m.